The Macallan Masters of Photography: Magnum Edition
My passion for whisky stems from three undergraduate years of geological fieldtrips, together with my thesis research, in Scotland, with Macallan being my preferred tipple. Not only is Macallan an exquisite whisky, but it is highly valued by collectors. While I enjoy drinking it, occasionally it becomes too valuable… indeed I recently sold a 18 Year Old 1971 Macallan as well as a presentation boxed 21 Year Old Macallan for funds sufficient to purchase a very pleasant ‘L’ Series Canon lens!
Macallan’s appreciation and understanding of the collector’s market has led them to produce a series of limited edition release collaborations with Magnum Photos. Their seventh such venture has just been announced: The Macallan Masters of Photography: Magnum Edition has been designed to celebrate the construction and opening of the new £140 million Macallan distillery and visitor centre through rare imagery and liquid.
The whisky comprises a vatting of eight casks, including a “spicy gingered cask”; a “cask of age” with great oak influence; a “classic cask” with “intense black cherry notes”; an ex-European red wine cask; a first-fill American barrel; an “intensely sweet yet classic Macallan” cask; and two casks that aim to emulate photography that “captures the familiar, but from an often obscure point of view”.
Each pack comes with a collection of images taken by six photographers (Steve McCurry, Martin Parr, Paolo Pellegrin, Mark Power, Gueorgui Pinkhassov and Alec Soth) who have captured different aspects of the new Macallan distillery and visitor experience on film.
The Macallan Masters of Photography: Magnum Edition collection comprises…
- A selection of six 11″x14″ signed prints, one from each photographer.
- A special limited edition of a completely unique Macallan single malt whisky.
- The bottle is engraved with The Macallan and Magnum logos and the names of the six photographers.
- An exclusive book of photography featuring images from the six photographers.
- This special release comes together as a limited edition objet d’art presented in a stunning archive style gift box, and is one of only 2000 available worldwide.
The Macallan Masters of Photography: Magnum Edition is available now with an RPP of £2750.